Saturday, October 31, 2009

Reading now - The Vows of Silence; and The Chippendales

Today I bought Susan Hill's newly released (in the US) Simon Serrailler book, The Vows of Silence. The book was released here on October 29th, and when I searched Borders online inventory, the only copy I could find was about 15 miles away. It was not available at the Borders in Fredericksburg.

I have read the three previous Simon Serrailler books and enjoyed them. Hill writes a more literary detective novel than most, and the character of Simon Serrailler appeals to me greatly in much the same manner that P.D. James's Adam Dalgliesh does. I am looking forward to reading this book, more for the new details about Simon's life than for the plot revolving around the crimes.

I have also ordered Howards End is on the Landing, also by Susan Hill. I have read mixed reviews of this book, but as I am an admirer of Susan Hill, I know I will find her views interesting.

On my Sony PRS-505 I am reading The Chippendales by Robert Grant, a story of new Boston (new in the 1880s, anyway) and old Boston, clashing values as the city grows and changes. I think it is a wonderful novel, evoking a stronger sense of place than any other novel set in Boston that I have read. Grant (1852-1940) was a probate judge from a notable Boston family, so he knows whereof he writes. The link in the title at the beginning of the paragraph will take you to the Google Books version which can be downloaded either in pdf or ebpub format. Well worth reading.

If only I had more time for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment