Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ghost Stories

I am once again in a ghost story mood. Yesterday I read The Shell of Sense by Olivia Howard Dunbar, page 69 of Harper's Magazine, Volume 18, December 1908, available at Google Books. It is an interesting story. The spirit of a woman, bound to earth by jealousy and selfishness, struggles against dealing vengeance. It is a very short story, well worth the time to read it.

Now I am in the midst of reading The Shadow World by Hamlin Garland, also available at Google Books, as well as at Project Gutenberg. I am not far into it, and it is unclear to me whether it is a novel or a fictionalized account of what the author purports to be real experiences. At any rate, it is entertaining. There is a woman who is the 19th century version of The Ghost Whisperer. What role she will play in the book as a whole is unclear to me at this point, but so far it is an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment