Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Distant Hours - by Kate Morton

The Distant Hours
by Kate Morton

I have begun reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton, my first purchase for my new Sony PRS-950 e-reader, my second Sony e-reader, replacing my beloved 505. I love the 950 too.

The Distant Hours has captivated me in just a few pages. The protagonist, Edie Burchill, is the kind of person I would love to have as a friend. She works in a small publishing house on Notting Hill in London. She loves books, especially 19th century literature, and counts characters from those books among her friends. She carries a copy of Jane Eyre with her for those times she finds herself waiting in line.

I won't summarize the plot here. For one thing, I have just begun reading the book and don't know the plot. Also, I know you will enjoy the book if the description of Edie appeals to you. As I have said many times before, I want to care about the characters in the books I'm reading. If I don't care about them, I am not likely to finish the book. I do care about Edie and hope she will appeal to others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment