Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mr. Rochester's Virginia Equivalent

Today in the mail I received a reprint of the diary of Elizabeth Lindsay Lomax written in Washington DC between the years 1854 and 1863. It is a charming diary, full of observations of her family, the weather, and other Washington residents. I had ordered it thinking there might be some useful information for a project I was considering.

In the entry for February 3, 1854 she writes: "Raining, snowing, blowing. Stormy without but cozy within. A perfect day for reading by one's own fireside. I have been absorbed in reading Jane Eyre. The characters must have been drawn from life with remarkable sincerity. I once knew a man like Rochester. George Wycke of Virginia. A most fascinating person."

Of course I immediately googled George Wycke but couldn't find much. There was a man by that name in Surry County, Virginia, but that's about all I could find about him. I will continue to search, for I'd like to know how he was like Mr. Rochester.

No comments:

Post a Comment